Monday, December 3, 2007

The Great Venezuelan Turnaround

Hugo Chavez, President, Venezuela


The oil-communist Hugo Chavez suffered his first ever defeat in nine years today in a constitutional referendum that would have allowed him to run for President indefinitely, handpick local leaders and plunge the US' major oil exporter into dictatorship.

Luckily, the people have woken up to the need for democracy and representation, and Chavez lost the referendum by 2% of the total counted votes (YES: 49%, NO: 51%).

He says that he would quietly accept the might of the citizens, but only time will tell whether he's ready to give up his post come 2012.

Full story:
NDTV.com
Reuters

No comments: