Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz


I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Cannot remember my name.
Where have I come from?
What was my face, my honour, my fame?
What shall I utter, what shall I say?
Who shall I call, who shall I blame?
I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Cannot remember my name.

I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Cannot see the sun.
I cannot hear the laughter of kin
Nor partake in revelry and sin.
Will I ever see the bright sky glow
Will I ever hear the swan of snow?
Oh! What game has fate done?
I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Cannot see the sun.

I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Do not have a mother.
When was I born, I do not know.
When will I die, I do not know.
When will it end, the sport of death?
When will I be lifted,
Freed from cold, lightning and shudder?
I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Do not have a mother.

I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Do not know a God.
Nor a kind gesture, a courteous nod.
Who shall I pray to?
What shall I ask?
For freedom I know not,
For love I know not,
For beauty I know not,
For life I know not.
I, the Prisoner of Alcatraz,
Do not know a God.
- Sushobhan Sen

This ORIGINAL POEM is written in memory of the tortured souls trapped in Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib.

No comments: