Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Loads of Fun: YW@20

Exactly twenty years ago, national daily The Hindu brought out its first supplement exclusively for Children, aptly named the Young World.

Since then, there was no looking back. Having changed its logo twice over its history, the supplement is a favourite amongst students.

I started reading The Hindu when I was in seventh class in Kochi. After a brief hiatus, I have been reading the paper for nearly everyday of the last eight years. Back then, I used to enjoy reading YW and went through all the articles. But today, I just give it a glance, although i continue to read the updates from local schools and the YW Quiz.

Over the last few months, YW has been republishing some old stories, including an amazing one about children voluntarily dropping out of school to become an assistant to a mechanic. I was surprised to see the length of the write-ups back then, compared to the shorter ones today. But I supposed that's the way the wind blows.

YW is a pretty young (no pun intended) newspaper in comparison to its parent, The Hindu. But then again, it's meant for a young audience and I'm sure that even when it gets much older, it will continue to be a great read for young readers across India.

OTFS congratulated The Hindu Young World on its twentieth year in circulation.

No comments: