Friday, February 4, 2011

Debating, Parliamentary Style

Well, after trying for quite some tine and with a lot of help from a good friend, I finally managed to join the Literary Section's Parliamentary Debate (PD) Group. I must say, debating is one thing but debating in Parliamentary Style is quite another.

In total, I witnessed one such debate, participated in two and - to my absolute shock - trainee-adjudicated in one. The most difficult part is understanding the Speaker roles. Unlike regular debates, a PD has specific roles for each speaker and the debate is not just about making and rebutting points, but also about fulfilling the roles of the speakers to the fullest.

There are many other concepts - The Motion, The House, the Burden of Proof and the Theme - and it takes a lot of practice to get used to it.

In my last debate, there were an odd-number of rookies and since I had the most experience, I was made trainee adjudicator. I assure you, adjudicating is much harder than it seems!

No comments: