Friday, May 27, 2011

My Seniors

The branch change wiped off all contacts that I had made with seniors in my first year. Worse, the Civil Engineering Department had a culture in which students of various years - including M.Tech. - did not interact with each other at all, at least not through the Department.

Now, I never really use my seniors as pawns of steps to higher-ups. For me, seniors should be friends, just as peers and juniors are. Yet, seniors tend to be more special, perhaps because they show a notch more maturity. Being in second year, third and fourth years were seniors for me. And I knew none.

To be fair, there were the branch changers from DPT amongst the seniors. And you'd think that people with something like that in common would become old chums. You'd be wrong. Most of the branch changers were haddus, so anyway they were never supposed to be great friends. And the rest were nice but not great friends or anything: acquaintances would be the right term. The real seniors whom I can talk to as friends came from Kj and Lit.

A warning, though: I usually don't name people on OTFS, so I've used a number of pseudonyms here, which any good friend of mine could decode easily. But then, how many good friends on mine read this blog? This is probably the first time I'm going to discuss my seniors here, and maybe it will be the last.

In Kj, I met a number of seniors. Some, like Kannada-haddu and Kj King were just known faces, while others like Kj Queen and Kj Artist were the objects of my dislike. But the seniors whom I got to know the best were in my own cell: Dancing King, Ghissu, Phodu and Drugged. In their own way, each made a difference. Dancing King remains one of the most mature people I have ever met and I am grateful to him for taking me in in time of need. Phodu is another Bengali who probably cannot believe that I actually exist, but we do smile at each other every now and then.

Drugged is from my Department and loves to hear me tell him about my subjects and professors; I think he forgot that he had them too! Still, he's always fun to talk to, although others don't think so. And lastly, there's Ghissu, also from my department, but perhaps the best senior I've ever met. I've also debated with him in Lit and I suppose we enjoy a good rapport. At times, he has irritated me and I have hated him for that; at times, I suppose I have irritated him and he should hate me for that. But most of the time, we've been good friends and when he leaves next year, I'll miss him the most.

I've met other seniors in Lit: haddu is nice but I never trust him, mainly because he gave me such a hard time before I could join Lit. Haddu lady, from my department, is just someone I can have a few laughs with, nothing great. There are some like P and contraception that I hardly know at all and won't comment on. Then there's the Big PI Guy, who is another super-mature person who i think will go really far in life. I don't know much about him but he was good to know (and I got a surprise Fbook friend request from him!). There's also Ganesh, who will probably run the debate scene next year. I don't know him beyond the point that I need him for my grade.

Through Kj, I also happened to meet a few fourth yearites who were in the Eng Ed. I don't know all of them, but there's Original Haddu, who is crazy (I won't elaborate), Jai-Veeru (who gain 'respect' for me in every encounter!) and PV, who was kind enough to pass on some Civil gyaan and his textbooks (through Ghissu of course: the proper channel!). I don't know these people all that well but I wish I did: they seem to be some cool people to know (especially Jai-Veeru!).

Lastly, there's the MT Guy I met through MUN at Cogni. At Cogni I also met other seniors (and juniors), but MT Guy remains the only one I can talk to well enough. I don't know how my association with me will be useful (it may not be, of course), but I do have respect for him.

Respect - that's what demarcates a senior from a junior. Or so I was told. But after a year in the Roorkee Campus, I can conclude that calling them sir and ma'am is not called giving respect. Respect is much, much deeper.

No comments: