Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Fourth Leg: Self

If there is one thing that I have learned in these years, it's that nobody can be trusted but yourself. Friends will come and go, but when it comes to the real issues, you cannot depend on anybody but your own self.

It's that realization that pushes me towards working on those things that improve me in some way or the other. At the end, how many friends you have hardly matters: what matters is how you use them. I love novels, I love current affairs... I've worked along these lines. I enjoy writing and I spend a lot of time on Opinions 24x7 and that has helped me a lot.

My immediate concern is of course my internship. Given the fact that I would like to pursue research, a university intern is definitely what I'm looking for. But if that's not possible, other means will have to be explored and explored quickly. Independent work will matter hugely here. Then, when the time comes for placements/UPSC/GATE, I am definitely all alone.

For extracurriculars, I am even more alone. I still don't trust my group in Kshitij, although I want to see Kshitij successful in its eleventh year. In LitSec, I am more or less comfortable but that's because the group is so small, it hardly matters. In the Bhawan, Bhawan-related activities are a major no-no because I give a damn for the politics involved.

In the next two years, debating and working on this blog will form the outer ring of priorities, novels, interns and grades will form an intermediate circle, while the final goal (UPSC and GATE) will form the inner circle. For all these, work must be individual, focused and without fear. This is the single most important and most stable leg of all and it is also the easiest the handle.

No comments: