Thursday, June 23, 2011

Where I've Been


In twenty years, I have been fortunate enough to have lived in many different cities and states and seen first hand India's varied culture. Goa, Bombay, Hyderabad, Kochi, Saharanpur, Roorkee, Delhi, Kolkata: I have seen so many different cities, heard different languages and tasted different foods.

Each place has something that makes it unique: Goa has its great seafood, Bombay its chat (which really is the best in the country), Hyderabad its Biryani, Kochi its Elephants and festivals involving them... the list is endless. And I was lucky enough to witness them all.

Of course, there have been some side-effects. I have stopped enjoying new things so much because of the uncertainty attached with them Who knows when I'll have to pack up? Yet, there is also a feeling of great excitement at being able to relate to so many parts of the country. None of these are individually Indian by their own right, but collectively, they are part of the vast culture that can be summed up by one word - Indian.

No comments: