Saturday, January 11, 2014

Absolute Filth

Fifty Shades of Grey
By EL James

Let me just cut to the chase - this is the worst book I have ever read, and I have read plenty to judge. It's everything bad that you can imagine: cheap, disgusting, boring, badly-written, mentally deranged... the list is endless! Salman Rushdie once called Fifty Shades of Grey the worst book to have ever been published, even worse than the series that inspired it, Twilight. I have to agree.

Ironically, it takes a certain level to debasement to write such a novel. You have to put yourself in that position, no pun intended. And the very fact that a human being can do that is enough to shock the audience. You could say that I'm being judgmental, but this is a book review. On more concrete terms, the book was very badly written, with endless droning interspersed with so-called erotica, that was actually agonizingly repetitive. I even suspect that a good part of the book was a copy-paste job from the first few chapters! You could virtually skip whole chapters without the story having moved very much at all.

What is even more concerning is that this book was a #1 NYT Bestseller. I am aware that the list depends on the sales, but my faith in that list has been badly shaken. And I now wonder what sort of people actually bought this book to put it on that list in the first place! It is extremely disturbing to have to believe that such filth can get on top of such a highly respected list. And I certainly do not intend to debase myself firther by pursuing the other two books in the trilogy - I am actually shocked that this became a trilogy, given that there is virtually no story at all! 

No comments: