Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Year's First Snowfall

It's been snowing in Champaign since last night, a little over thirteen hours now, with IllinoisHomepage.net reporting about 4" of snowfall so far, although the peak of it has tapered off. This was expected, of course, with the weather forecast clearly indicating a strong system moving into the Midwest on account of a high pressure zone that developed here last week.

Now, I love snow. Really - I like the cold weather and the beautiful white blanket. However, snow and snowfall are two different matters: the latter is meant to see and walk on; the latter is much like rain, when it's just very hard to get out of the house and get on with your work. Fortunately for me, I'm in academia so I can afford to take a day off and work from home (which I am trying to do now).

Now, although the snowfall has begun to taper off, the wind has picked up. So, while we did avoid a blizzard, the cold is still very much there. My app tells me that the effective temperature outside is an amazing -23 C! I still have to go to CPL and the recreation center, but I have no idea how I'll be able to do that with this weather. First snowfall of the year - and the harsh realities of winter set in. 

No comments: