Thursday, March 13, 2014

The International Dinner




Sunday was the 31st International Student Dinner & Performance Night hosted by the University YMCA and ISSS, with food from around 30 different countries for an audience of over 200 people. I had the proud privilege to be co-MC at the event together with a sophomore. For us, the event began with a very quick and delicious dinner with great food from around the world. I was surprised to find an African country that has a chicken stew that is exactly the same as an Indian chicken curry. In addition, the desert from Ukraine was smashing.

The performances were great, covering India, Japan, Latin America, the Caucasus and other regions. My personal favorite was Jew Kids of the Block's Nachamu Ami. The video above is not the same performance, but it is the same song and I have been hooked to it, particularly after I got hold of a translation.

I'm really impressed by how much America values International diversity on campus. It doesn't just talk about it, or ask International students to 'assimilate' (i.e., act like they're domestic students) as in Europe: it really does value diversity. For the first time in my life, I really felt like I was part of a big, diverse world. A wonderful night to remember. 

No comments: