Sunday, April 27, 2014

Star Wars Binge

It took six drafts, but I did finally manage to get my first conference paper (OK, second, but I would not like to count the first) submitted (more on that in some other post). As a reward to myself, I went on a Star Wars binge - an (almost) non-stop marathon of watching the Star Wars original trilogy and then the prequel trilogy.

Oh, Star Wars. The story of how a great republic fell and was revived by nothing less than the will of the Force. The story of how love mixed with hate to destroy the galaxy, only to be saved by another act of love. And fundamentally, the story of Anakin Skywalker and his son, Luke Skywalker.

I'm not big on pop culture - I honestly have no idea what it refers to and everybody seems to have a different answer. Therefore, I will not say that I like Star Wars because of my pop culture-induced emotions. I like Star Wars because it is a story set in an alien land that fundamentally is exactly like our own, where love and hate constantly fight it out in our minds; where politics can make the greatest of enemies the closest of allies.

The most powerful line from the movie comes from Episode III: Revenge of the Sith:

"So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause" - Padme Amidala

The deep implications of this are hard to miss and have been relevant for millenniums in some form or the other, more so today. My Star Wars binge was quite an experience and certainly refreshed me for the next wave of work that is currently drowning me. Till next year, when Disney is set to release Episode VII

No comments: