Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My First Credit Card

After waiting for a year to get a Social Security Number, I finally became an RA and got it. And I quickly applied for a credit card. There are two reasons for this - first, of course, is to build a good credit score, which is absolutely necessary to survive in the US. I haven't made any large purchases yet, but I will need to buy a car soon, in which case a good FICO score will be helpful.

The second reason is more philosophical - it's about growing up and not just earning your own money, but learning to manage credit too. It's an important lesson that school does not teach you and which you can only learn hands-on.

So, with my new credit card, I'm ready to purchase, responsibly. To that effect, I don't intend to get another until I earn my PhD.

No comments: