Friday, March 20, 2015

Back to Spring Break

Spring Break has started for me today (technically it starts on Monday, but it doesn't matter). What does that mean? It means that I don't have any classes or any new homework this week Hurrah! OK, not really, because 'homework' would mean more than just work from classes, and there's plenty of that. And then, I just alluded to new work - the old work, deliberately piled up for the Break, is actually a little more than what I'd do on average every week. OK, a lot more. 

So for the 2015 edition of Spring Break, I have two term papers and my taxes to do, as a very minimum. These have to be - no question of that. The last Fall Break proved how disastrous missing the term paper deadlines is and I have intention of repeating that mess. In addition, there is some lab testing to finish and a paper to finish-up. If (and that's a big 'if') I still have time left, I will have to learn some C# and VS2010 for my summer project (can't disclose more about it for now). And yes, there is one rather long homework to finish too! 

So, am I saddened by this vast amount of work I have at a time when everyone is headed to the beaches of Florida? Not really. For one, I'm used to it by now - two Fall Breaks and one Spring Break on, the idea of having to work when most people make merry doesn't seem that bad anymore. More importantly, I like my work - I didn't have to do this if I didn't want to! The road to a PhD is long and arduous and I knew that before I stepped into it. It wasn't going to be a big, difficult exam, but a series of little tests (mostly of patience) like this one. 

In the end, the sight of useful data to put into my thesis and two completed term papers will give me all the joy I need. If that's not enough, the tax refund should do the trick! 

No comments: