Sunday, May 31, 2015

Not as Bad!

It's been a week since my grades for this semester came out and I still go back to check if I read them right. From my dire predictions of an A- in CEE506 and a B+ in CEE 517, I ended up with an A+ in both! It was quite shocking that despite my own very poor expectations, I would indeed finish another semester with a perfect 4.0 GPA. And to think I was worried about my GPA two years ago!

In CEE 506, while I did somewhat underestimate my total, it turned out a clustering algorithm was used in the end, which put me and another student way above the rest, and hence the A+. While I would not like to speculate, I think this firmly makes me a contender for TA for this course next time it's offered, which will be 2017. Phew, that's far away!

CEE 517 turned out to be the real surprise. From what I can see, the clinching factors were the term paper and the final exam. The term paper did go well, but I didn't expect it to be that good - 97.5 against a class average of 83! This also makes it my third stellar term paper with this professor. But the most amazing result was in the final exam, with a 95% against a class average of 76%. This could have been the top score on an exam that I thought went quite badly. Anyway, I'm not complaining!

Now, not to jinx it, but if I can finish with an A or an A+ in STAT-410 this summer, I will have unofficially finished my MS with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Officially, I'm going to transfer some excess credits to my PhD file, so I already completed that feat in the Fall! 

No comments: