Saturday, July 4, 2015

2015: In the Land of the Free

Today is the 239th Anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, observed in the US as Independence Day. This is the second time I am observing this holiday inside this wonderful country and like last time, I'm working in my office. For if Independence Day marked the right of every man to the pursuit of happiness, then what makes me happier than my work? In the sad American parlance of today, work is a necessary evil, and the extended weekend for Independence Day is a nice excuse to run away from it. But I disagree, at least for myself: my work is wonderful and inspiring. Not only would I observe July 4 and July 4 alone as Independence Day, I will do it by getting a lot of work done. For that, in my opinion, is the true American spirit. 

No comments: