Monday, August 24, 2015

Another Semester/New Semester?

It's that time of the year again, when a new semester begins. For the thousands of freshman roaming the streets of campus and filling up the gym, it is truly the beginning of a new phase in life, a moment that I myself remember quite well from six years ago, when I too was a freshman, and thought I was the coolest guy in the world. Oh, how the tides have turned! For me, this semester marks the beginning of my seventh year as a college student. Yes, I'm that old.

But is this just another semester? While it seems so, there is also a sense of finality to it. This is my first semester as a doctoral student, the ultimate stage in one's education, since a PhD is a terminal degree. In that sense, this is a very new semester - for it is the last I will have a 'first semester' for an academic program (as a student, anyway). Now, some would say that this is just nitpicking, and they would be write, but what have I to lose by doing that? After all, a PhD is about critical thinking, and that should not stop in the lab.

So here begins (in about fifteen minutes), the first class of my first semester as a freshman PhD student (I know there's no such thing). One last time. 

No comments: