Saturday, April 23, 2016

For the love of the Borg








STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (1996)

For almost a year now, I've been an ardent fan of the Star Trek franchise, mostly through the TV series, OTS and TNG. I was excited to be nearly done with TNG, and set to start DSN. Which got me wondering: how many of these series are there? And that's how I discovered that the greatest nemesis of the Federation - the Borg - actually has a whole series where they supposedly play a central role - Voyager. Now, I loved the episodes about the Borg, they were the most exciting of all to watch. So I read around a little more and discovered that they actually have a movie too!

And thus I saw First Contact, with the cast from TNG, a whole movie about the Borg and their diabolical plan to take over Earth. But the movie was about much more than that, it was about the equivalent of the biblical moment for Sci Fi junkies: the prophesied (?) First Contact between humans and intelligent beings from other worlds, which happens after we learn warp technology and thus learn to travel faster than light. An enticing tale of how the Borg sought to prevent that from happening, with Capt. Picard and his crew in hot pursuit, makes the plot for this classic film. The idea of a Borg Queen is difficult to digest though, although the movie does try to explain it (unsuccessfully, I think). Still, a great film to watch. (OTFS)

No comments: