Saturday, May 28, 2016

Going too far

Hornet Flight
By Ken Follett

I continue my fascination with Ken Follett with the first book of his that I really had a lot of trouble reading - and it was not a pleasure in the end. Of course, by the time I got to reading it, I already had some fatigue, what with the busy end to the semester and the conference in DC. But I eventually got around to finishing it - and regretted it. It's not that it is badly written, it is written in largely the same characteristic style that has marked all his other works. But then, this goes somewhat out his league and far, too far, into speculation.

The problem with Hornet Flight is the rather superficial description of technology that basically forms the backbone of the novel: from the wrecked airplane to the radar system, it all feels amateurish at best. And then the story itself! I know this is a work of fiction, but there's a difference between regular fiction and science fiction, and I'm not sure which one this really is. In the end, the story seemed very hollow, and Winston Churchill taking some (brave) kids around military installations during World War II's fiercest fighting was just too much to believe. A disappointment. 

No comments: