Friday, July 8, 2016

4th of July in Champaign

This week, I had the pleasure of celebrating the 4th of July - approximately American Independence Day - in Champaign. Honestly, after three years here, this was the first time I knew that there was a fireworks show in town! Fireworks are typically associated with large cities - Chicago has a grand display on Navy Pier during the summer - but I've discovered that small towns do save up for a smaller show on the 4th of July.

It was a little funny sitting at what used to be a busy intersection by the State Farm Center, watching the beautiful fireworks, accompanied by a quaint little band playing pop (although they were supposed to be playing country music!). It was quite a festive atmosphere and, although I could not share the patriotic fervor, I could quite empathize.

Freedom matters, it is important, and it worth celebrating. 

No comments: