Monday, December 19, 2016

On to Stage II

 This month, I passed my PhD qualifying exam, the first of three exams needed to obtain a PhD from Illinois. The exam, having already been delayed by about nine-months, was in the new format for the Transportation Engineering Group, and I was the first (and only) person to take it this year. Now, given  that my research is in computational mechanics (solving PDEs numerically), the exam really tested my creativity because the problem was in computational statistics (using big data to gain insights). My months of independent study and MOOCs actually came to my rescue here!

The worst part of the exam was the 10 min wait between the end of the exam and the result - the sort of thoughts that crossed my mind then were the stuff of nightmares, and am I glad it ended well. Now, as a PhD Candidate, it's time to get ready for the second exam - the Prelim. 

No comments: