Thursday, August 3, 2017

Revisiting High School

The Best Short Stories of O.Henry
Edited by Bennet Cerf and Van Catmell

If I think back to my high school English literature classes, two names (aside from Shakespeare, of course) stand out distinctly: Guy de Maupassant and O.Henry, both masters of the short story, from whom I took much inspiration in my days in Kshitij. Therefore, before I wrapped up my summer reading and headed for a vacation, I decided to revisit some of O. Henry's stories.

Now, some critics dislike O. Henry (which is a pseudonym) for his rather repetitive style and typical use of an anti-climax. However, I think they miss the point: his stories enjoy such a power anti-climax because of his peculiar style of writing, full of excruciating detail about seemingly minor things, and periodic outbursts of philosophy, all so that the reader remains focused on too many things until it is too late. While this formula sounds simple enough, it can be hard to perfect without simply boring the reader, which is where O. Henry's succeeds.

There are plenty of good tales in this collection, starting of course with The Gift of the Magi. The Pendulum in particular brought back some fond memories. Good reading! 

No comments: