Thursday, August 3, 2017

Too good to be true

The Rainmaker
By John Grisham

So with the debacle of historical fiction behind me, I decided to lean on my old mistress - legal thrillers - in the hope of finding some redemption. No, I was in no mood to take any risks, so I did not pick up an esoteric writer in some strange country. Instead, I decided to go with good old John Grisham and his novel, The Rainmaker, which is so mainstream that there's a movie about it too.

The novel is perfect. Too perfect. There's the underdog, there's the big, evil corporation. David and Goliath all over again. And like the biblical tale, it just goes perfectly - a series of unending coincidences and lucky breaks for the core of the novel. However, as unbelievable as the story might be, it does stay interesting, with Grisham having written plenty of drama and emotion into it: not less than three subplots are active at any given point in the book!

The Rainmaker is what I'd call a pop novel: there's nothing too intellectual about it, nothing to get you nervous. It's just a nice and simple read, which is exactly what I needed. 

No comments: